The term “handicap” in any game refers to the initial adjustment of the odds for the opposing teams or players to level the playing field. Familiarizing yourself with this tool is crucial when making sports bets. Betting on the clear favorite with minimal odds can be uninteresting, while picking the underdog as the favorite is a surefire way to lose money. To make sports betting profitable and successful, it is advisable to learn how to navigate and utilize the handicap.
Principle of Handicap and Types of Odds in Betting
Before effectively using the handicap, it’s essential to comprehend its principles, the various types of handicaps, and their distinctive features. The handicap operates in a straightforward manner, involving the addition or subtraction of a handicap value to the final result of a selected match. The results of all participants are then compared, considering the adjusted odds. If the chosen athlete or team outperforms their opponent, the bet is successful.
Let’s explore the different types of handicaps:
- Positive handicap: This type of handicap is applied to noticeably weaker teams with lower chances of winning.
- Negative handicap: Conversely, this handicap is used when betting on the stronger team or player.
- Level (zero) handicap: This option comes into play when the strengths of the opponents are approximately equal. One advantage of a zero handicap is the possibility of a refund if the match ends in a draw. Zero handicaps are often more favorable, making them popular among bettors.
By understanding and utilizing handicaps effectively, bettors can enhance their chances of making profitable and strategic sports bets.
European Handicap vs Asian Handicap
Understanding the distinctions between European and Asian handicaps is crucial for any bettor aiming for successful betting.
European Handicap – Bet Principle and Calculation Examples
The primary type of European handicap involves whole number bets. These can be expressed as negative values (-1, -2, -3) or positive values (+1, +2, +3), but they must be treated as integers.
It’s important to note that European handicaps do not offer the possibility of a bet refund in the event of a draw. However, due to the absence of refunds, European handicap odds tend to be more favorable and appealing compared to Asian handicaps.
For instance, let’s consider a soccer match between teams X and Y, with the expectation that Y will win. A positive handicap of +1 is applied to team Y. What happens next? Suppose the match ends with a score of 3:2. When the handicap is taken into account, the final score becomes 3:3. As a result, the bet is lost. However, if the teams finish the game with a score of 2:2, with the handicap recalculated, the result would be 2:3, leading to a winning bet.
This particular rule of bookmakers and European odds is quite controversial, but it serves a purpose. Those familiar with Asian odds, which offer refunds in the case of a draw, may feel deceived in such situations, as a draw would result in a loss instead of a refund. To avoid unnecessary frustration, it is important to study the principles of the European handicap and the specific rules of the gambling website before making betting decisions.
Lastly, a notable feature of the European handicap, in contrast to the Asian handicap, is that the bookmaker considers not just two but three possible outcomes of the match: a loss, a win, and a draw.
Asian Handicap – A Clash of Differences
As previously mentioned, while the European handicap is exclusively expressed as whole numbers, the Asian handicap incorporates the following rules for calculating the handicap:
- Whole number handicap: This is the simplest and most straightforward type of handicap. Examples include the sequence of numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, and so on. This type of handicap is chosen when there is a high level of confidence in the selected athlete or team winning.
- Decimal handicap: Decimal handicaps, such as 0.5, 1.5, 2.5, and so on, do not offer refunds. With decimal handicaps, the outcome of a bet is either a win or a loss. Otherwise, the calculations follow the standard scheme.
- Fractional handicap: Fractional handicaps are multiples of 0.25. When utilizing this handicap, the outcome of a bet can vary significantly, ranging from a complete or partial win to a partial or complete loss.
In conclusion, the handicap is a valuable tool that bettors should be adept at using in sports betting. Handicaps exist in various types (positive, negative, zero) and formats (European and Asian). By incorporating the handicap, the excitement and intensity of the game are heightened. Wishing you good luck in your betting endeavors!